SYMBI project will contribute to improve the implementation of regional development policies and programmes related to the promotion and dissemination of industrial symbiosis and circular economy from 7 participating countries faced to policies alignment with the Circular Economy strategy of the European Commission to transform Europe into a more competitive resource-efficient economy.
This project is co-funded by the Interreg Europe program through ERDF, and aims to improve the implementation of policies and regional development programs, in particular those relating to programs Investment Growth and Employment and European Territorial Cooperation.
SYMBI General objective is to empower regions to build sustainable economies, resilient to environmental pressures and climate change.
The project will support the implementation of policy instruments and measures for the diffusion of industrial symbiosis, to add value, reduce production costs and relieve environmental pressures through increased resource efficiency and green house gas emissions.
Industrial symbiosis looks at interactions between the environment, the economy and industry, and promotes the sharing of materials to minimize waste, following the example of a natural ecosystem, where everything is reused.
Industrial symbiosis strengthens regional growth and competitiveness fostering:
- Material and energy savings, reusing waste and energy by-products of industrial processes.
- New business models with secondary raw resources trading and innovative waste management services.
- Mitigation of external volatility risks, reducing dependencies on imported materials and fossil fuel.
SYMBI aims at supporting the transition towards a resource efficient economy through industrial symbiosis, establishing territorial synergies to manage waste and exchange energy & by products as secondary raw resources.
Furthermore, through the development of the activities, SYMBI will get:
- Encourage regional waste transformation systems;
- Promote the use of secondary raw materials and the emergence of regional secondary raw materials market.
- Prioritize green public procurement.
- Unlock investments by regional and local financial actors.
- Explore, assess, expand, and enhance current practices in ecosystems of industrial innovation.
- Raise public awareness on industrial symbiosis and circular economy.
To achieve the objectives, different exchange of experiences activities between regional authorities from the participating regions and key stakeholders in the use of resources regional value chains will be carried out. Main activities will be:
- Comparative study of existing policies at regional and national levels related to industrial symbiosis and circular economy.
- Analysis of potential investments in industrial symbiosis.
- Identification of good practices and benchmarking of eco-systems of by products and energy exchanges.
- Prescribing green public procurement as an enabler of industrial symbiosis.
In particular, to guarantee and facilitate a deep Exchange of experiences and Public dialogue, both at an interregional and regional level, several Meetings and consultations within partner’s organizations, regional authorities and the key stakeholders identified will be held. Also lessons learnt in the regional policies will be diffused at EU-level.
The Regional Council of Häme
+358 50 305 2539